Friday 27 April 2012

Oversize Putters

Dear Ms Kallas-Way
I've been sick with worry ever since people started the rumour that the R&A is going to ban long putters. The long putter has revolutionised my game and taken at least 27.5 shots off each of my rounds! It's the only thing that has kept me playing golf instead of taking up croquet, as everyone I play with has suggested I should do. (They reckon my jerky, abbreviated swing is a natural fit for bigger balls and hoops.) Anyway, I want to get a petition going to implore golf's ruling bodies not to do away with my favourite club and not to restrict its length. My putter is custom-made and 10 feet long and if I couldn't use it for measuring my penalty club lengths, I just might be forced into taking up croquet. You're the most popular golf writer I know. Will you circulate my petition for me?
Dear Belly Putter
No, I won't. Golfers read this blog because of its first class instruction, not for carping, nonsensical whingeing such as yours. I've watched the video you sent with your email and you're indeed fortunate that you have such large ears to tuck around your 10-ft shaft, or I suspect you'd take an extra 27.5 shots on the greens. I have it on good authority that the R&A and USGA are not going to ban oversize putters. However, they are considering bringing in a rule which says you're not allowed to anchor the putter against your body, except when you're using it for penalty measurements, in which case you must anchor it on the back of your neck. I don't think your ears will help you with that one.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment