Tuesday 17 April 2012

Avoiding Water

Dear Ms Kallas-Way
The third hole at our course is a short par 3 (100 metres) over water. Last week the three people I played with had to act quickly to stop me from leaping into the water and drowning myself, after I put my tee shot into the pond for the 67th time in a row. As usual, my next shot soared majestically into the air and came down in the middle of the green, just 20 ft from the hole and I 2-putted for a 5. I am sunk in the depths of despair, as I have teed off with a variety of clubs (played full, three quarter, and half shots) and always got the same result. Can you help me?
B A Plonker
Dear Mr Plonker
Certainly I can help you. Wait until your fellow players are looking the other way and then leap into the water. You could also adapt Virginia Woolf's method and fill your pockets with golf balls (she used stones) to help you sink quicker. Alternatively, you could change your pre-shot routine so that you have better thoughts when you address the ball. Next time you play the hole, take with you the most expensive new golf ball you can buy. Go on to the tee and hurl that ball into the middle of the pond. This will re-create the crestfallen feeling you get after your shot has gone in the water. This is most important because your brain associates that feeling with what comes immediately before a good shot. Tee off immediately and you will hit the green in one, instead of three.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment