Monday 16 April 2012

Crafar farms golf course

I recently interviewed the CEO of a group of kiwi investors who are bidding against the Chinese for the Crafar farms. Fred, the CEO, says his group are going to combine dairying with golf. "It's worked with sheep so I don't see why it won't work with cows." Well, I pointed out, it's a lot easier to hit over sheep than cows and sheep manure isn't so...obtrusive. Fred brushed my points aside. "Look, golf clubs are struggling because membership is dropping. Golfers don't need all that land to themselves - they can share it with the cows. And we all know there's way more money in dairy than sheep." I mentioned that they'd need high electric fences around the greens. "No problem," said Fred, "cattle stops will ensure easy access for golfers." He held up his hand as I opened my mouth. "Each cattle stop will have a ball retriever." I wondered where they'd place the clubhouse. "The golfers can share our cowshed. In fact, they might want to help milk. It would strengthen their wrists." Then I mentioned that to get milk you needed bulls. Was management going to ban red clothes? "That's our top selling point," smiled Fred. "We guarantee that the bulls mean there'll be no such thing as slow play on our dairying golf courses." Finally, Fred had won me over.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment