Thursday 17 May 2012

Simple Golf Tips that Work

I've been hitting my fairway woods really badly. Either low off the toe and pushed, or an ugly low slice.
I'd had a lesson a while ago and 'take the club away with your left shoulder' had worked for a time. Then that stopped working and I watched my swing on the ipod. (Using the V1 Golf Digital Coaching app, which is wonderful because you can slow down the swing, stop it, and draw lines through spine, shoulders, etc.)
My left shoulder looked high and crooked at impact so I tried to get my shoulders squarer at impact. With mixed results.
Then a couple of weeks ago, Sir Nick Faldo showed a pro at impact and said. "Watch how he's covering the ball with his chest."
Eureka! I thought. I've got a bigger chest than that guy. Should be a piece of cake for me.
And it was. By concentrating on my chest, instead of my shoulder, it was easier to get into a good position at impact. My fairway woods improved considerably and at least now when I hit them poorly, they go straight so I don't get into trouble.
If I can improve my worst shot, I'm making progress.
Now if I can just fix the reverse pivot, changing spine angle and excessive foot action...



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

2 comments:

  1. I will give this one a try. Thanks

    RD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you're looking for a good golf instruction book, the one that has helped me the most is David Leadbetter's 'Faults and Fixes' - how to correct the 80 most common problems of golf. It was first published in 1993, but it's the only instruction book (out of about 20) that hasn't gone back on my shelf. I still take it to the practice fairway because it is set out simply and logically. All the solutions are brief and uncomplicated. And often he gives you several solutions and you choose which works best. Being basically lazy, I always choose the easiest and that generally works.

      Delete